FDA recall on peanut butter affects pets too

Category:

As Seen With - Cathy Rosenthal

Encourage Kindness to Animals!

Highly-acclaimed children's books for your child or organization

FDA recall on peanut butter affects pets too

Updated Jan 22, 2009

Pet treats are being impacted by the FDA’s recall on peanut butter products.

Salmonella contamination has been traced to a plant owned by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA), a distributor of peanut butter and peanut paste – a concentrated product consisting of ground, roasted peanuts. “Peanut butter is often used in small amounts as an occasional reward for dogs, commonly used in treats and activity toys” says Dr. Pam Reid, Vice President of the ASPCA Animal Behavior Center.

This week, PetSmart voluntarily recalled seven of its Great Choice Dog Biscuit products that contain peanut paste made by PCA.  PetSmart is not aware of any reported cases of illness related to these products, but is removing them as a precautionary measure.  The recalled products were sold between Aug. 21, 2008 and Jan. 19, 2009. Customers can return the product to any PetSmart store for a complete refund or exchange.

While healthy adult dogs are fairly resistant to illness from bacteria, pets with health issues, young puppies and elderly or pregnant dogs that may have compromised immune systems, may be at greater risk for becoming ill.  Because Salmonella can be passed between pets and people, it’s important for pet parents to wash their hands after handling a potentially sick  pet or contaminated treat.  

The ASPCA (the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) says dogs who do become ill from Salmonella may exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, fever, lethargy, and drooling or panting – an indication of nausea. In severe cases, the bacteria may spread throughout the body resulting in death. Cats may develop high fever with vague non-specific clinical signs. If suspect that your pet may have ingested a contaminated recalled product, contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435.

For a complete list of affected brands and more information on the recall, please visit FDA’s recall page frequently since recall items can change daily. 

One thought on “FDA recall on peanut butter affects pets too

  1. Referring to your column in Sunday’s (Feb. 8) San Antonio Express-News regarding pet microchips, I had a chip put into my Yorkie while she was under anesthesia getting her teeth cleaned.   My vet used the Avid Friend Chip, and it cost me $38.  When I asked to have my other Yorkie microchipped on her next visit,  I was told that I should wait until I was having a procedure done under anesthesia since it would hurt too much to just insert the chip w/out it.My daughter had her dog microchipped at another vet while she waited, no anesthesia, and it only cost $10.  I tend to believe it is a simple procedure and not very expensive since the shelters microchip all their animals before releasing them for adoption.  What’s the story on microchips?Gail Yount

Comments are closed.

DSC_4602

Cathy Rosenthal, CHES, CFE
Animal Welfare Communications Specialist

Cathy brings more than 25 years' experience in the animal welfare field. She is a sought-after speaker, Certified Humane Education Specialist, a syndicated pet advice columnist, an author, a publisher, and of course - a loving pet parent.

Read more about Cathy here or check out her Non-Profit's page to see more ways she can help you and your organization.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Professional pet sitter a good choice for peace of mind

Dear Cathy, I read your column every week and find the topics on cats helpful as I am a professional cat sitter and have been ...
Read More

As popular as a green iguana

According to Reptile Magazine, “Leopard geckos have increased in popularity and are probably the most widely kept reptile pet next to the green iguana.” While ...
Read More

Sewing thread is a threat to pets

Dear Cathy, I just wanted you to be aware of a danger concerning cats swallowing sewing thread. A friend took her cat to the veterinarian ...
Read More